Xero Core API

Welcome to our official feedback forum for the Xero Developer API.

The Xero Community site is the best place to submit feedback for improving Xero Business

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 487 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      41 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      planned  ·  xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) responded

The Xero app now allows you to have control over the sender’s name, email address and reply to address (see http://blog.xero.com/2013/06/more-control-over-your-emails/) which was a key requirement for using the API to trigger an invoice to be emailed. Previous Xero releases also added the ability to have online viewing of invoices and email templates for sending invoices, statements etc.

In amongst our other top developer requests we are now actively looking at how we can offer this functionality to developers.

Please remember you can download PDF’s of invoices which allows you to email invoices yourself and you can also mark these invoices as sent.

• Repeating invoices via the API

Be able to create and manage repeating invoices (http://help.xero.com/#Accounts_RepeatingInvoice) via the API.

398 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        55 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        started  ·  xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) responded

Today we released the ability to retrieve repeating invoices via a new RepeatingInvoices endpoint: http://developer.xero.com/documentation/api/repeating-invoices/

We have not yet begun work to create repeating invoices, so this endpoint will initially only have utility for those looking to use it for reporting.

We will leave this feature request open and update it as soon as we have further news to share on creating repeating invoices via the API.

• Notify URL When Stuff Changes in Xero - Webhooks

I'm requesting "web hooks" for the Xero API.

Here's how they work: Customer provides a URL (http://myserver.com/xero/changed) to Xero, and when something is changed, Xero notifies that URL, perhaps indicating which records have changed.

The Xero API provides methods that you can query and compare with previous results to see what has changed. However, this is not performant for large data sets, and detecting changes involves a lot of code.

The competition has it - web hooks are supported by QuickBooks. Let's get them in Xero - it's a superior product in every other way.

397 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          32 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately when we looked at this in detail, our existing technical architecture would not support webhooks. We still want to deliver this, but it can only come after some planned architectural enhancement to the Xero platform.

In the mean time, we have a number of options on how we can make the syncing of data more efficient using existing GET API polling methods – we will update this thread when we have more news to share.

We are sorry we can’t do better right now, it is not from lack of desire on our part.

• Import bank statement lines via the API

Be able to import bank statement lines into a bank account in Xero. This would be useful for custom bank accounts or banks that do not have a direct feed into Xero

343 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            29 comments  ·  Banking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your votes everyone. As we have completed other requests this one has creeped up the list and is overdue an update.

We do agree this would be a useful feature to expose via the API. We will begin scoping this shortly and update you when development begins, but no ETA yet.

We have reviewed some of your comments and use cases below however, and have written up an article on some possible existing API options: https://community.xero.com/developer/discussion/3879525/ – note this may not apply to your situation, but hopefully useful to some.

• Enable the upcoming Purchase Order module to link to outside applications

My company has an app that services a very large niche market- all of those clients (tens of thousands) also need accounting. Our current app has rudimentary accounting in it but we are seeking to set up a sync with a dedicated cloud-app for all the accounting. Purchase Orders are crucial to this niche market and if we could sync them with Xero via api it would make a huge difference.

(Provide GET/PUT/POST PurchaseOrders endpoint)

320 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              39 comments  ·  Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re certainly looking to offer Purchase Order functionality via the Xero API. It is amongst a list of top priority feature requests that we are working through as quickly as we can. There are a few items ahead of this so I’ll change the status on this item when we are actively working on this.

• Reconcile via the API

Be able to reconcile bank statement lines via the API.

263 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                27 comments  ·  Banking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Reconciliation via the API is not a planned feature for the short-medium term as we look to address other feature requests.

For some of your scenarios consider using the approach described in our guide for handling payment processor receipts in Xero could be a whole lot more efficient. http://developer.xero.com/documentation/api-guides/handling-payment-processor-receipts-in-xero/

Even if you have a statement line for every invoice payment (rather than a statement line equalling many payments) you could utilise a clearing account to pay off invoices and then use Xero cash/fast coding to code all the bank statement lines of a similar pattern to the clearing account.

While we will continue listening to requests on this thread, there are a number of significant issues that prevent us from working on this for the time being.

• Expose the Online invoicing URL via the Xero API

Xero has recently released online invoicing functionality within the main application (http://help.xero.com/#OnlineInvoices).

Be able to retrieve the online invoicing URL via the Xero API.

Note that this URL is only generated when the invoice is emailed within the Xero application. Exposing this field will be of limited value until further work is done to be able to email an invoice from Xero via the API (but that is a separate issue).

228 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  19 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately this field is not as easy to provide as it might seem – it is only generated when an invoice is sent through the online invoicing system, and is not present for all invoices.

As a first step, we will look to return it when it is present, and schedule further work to allow the creation of an online invoicing URL via the API at a later date.

• API Overpayments & Prepayments

See the latest comments on this below

213 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    29 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The BankTransactions endpoint now supports creating overpayments and prepayments – see http://developer.xero.com/documentation/api/banktransactions/#title7

Note – The ability to allocate an over/payment to an invoice will be supported in a future release. This request will be kept open until this task is finished.

The Invoices endpoint will also be improved in a future release to make it easier to identify when an over/prepayment is applied to an invoice.

If you can now do what you need with over/prepayments, consider moving your vote(s) to another request.

• History & Notes

Expose invoice History & Notes through the API

213 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      17 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Confirming that this is a feature we are planning on working on soon. Any ETA would be inaccurate, but we will update this thread when work has actually begun.

• PUT/POST tracking categories and options

Be able to create tracking options via the API. Also when creating invoices via the API allow the creation of tracking options within Xero's existing tracking groups if they don't exist.

138 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        14 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are delighted to confirm the ability to create and update tracking categories and tracking category options was release today: http://developer.xero.com/documentation/api/v2-release-notes/#2.71

As we want to add support for deleting shortly, we will not yet mark this request as fully complete, but expect us to do so soon.

If you have any questions about using this feature, please feel free to ask in our community: https://community.xero.com/developer/

NB: The request to create options ‘on the fly’ when creating an invoice has been declined for now as it is not feasible within the current API.

• General Journal Improvements

1) include transaction source and id to be able to link back to the source document of the journal eg AP/AR invoice etc 2) allow endpoint to be filtered by accounting date to be able to get just a certain period.

126 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          9 comments  ·  Journals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add read-only access to accounting numbers for use in other systems

I have an internal system that handles all the other metrics for our business, but the financial data is missing.

We could either hand-enter the necessary data or build some sort of import functionality, but it would be best to query Xero directly so I can use that data in my internal system.

Thanks for listening!

88 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • allow notes in invoice output

there are some situations where it's useful to add a note to an invoice that's include in the invoice PDF. e.g a message about the reverse charge VAT treatment for EC customers. I would guess there's more exceptions like this where a note would be useful.

76 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You might consider adding a comment-only line item to the invoice. This would get printed on the PDF of the invoice.

If the message is to be added to lots of invoices, you could even consider defining a price list item with a description only. This would save re-typing the comment for each invoice.

A third option is adding a comment onto a docx branding theme template. If all EC customers could be assigned the same branding theme, the comment could be hard-coded onto the docx template.

We’ll certainly consider other options to make life easier for our customers.

• Be able to retrieve & e-mail statements to receivable accounts via the API

E-mailing updates to receivable accounts about their payments via the API would be very useful. Via the web interface, this is possible by sending a statement. API request is to be able to retrieve a statement report and email it via the API

72 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Accounts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • EU Country field

Be able to update the EU Country field via the API. This is required and seems very strange to be left out of the API.

70 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Contacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Budget summary report by budget

The current budget summary API report (http://blog.xero.com/developer/api/reports/#BudgetSummary) returns the overall budget summary report. Within Xero, you can create additional budgets which can be filtered by tracking category. This request is to:
                                  - Provide a Budgets API endpoint
                                  - Allow the budget summary report be filtered by budget

65 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 54 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Accounts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • be able to retrieve account transactions via the api.

Provide an API to retrieve the transactions of an account. (e.g. something like this Profit & Loss report-> click on the YTD value of an account)

More discussion in the thread <https://community.xero.com/developer/discussion/326819/>

54 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Accounts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Expose which user connected the organization via OAuth

Currently, we have no idea which user connected via OAuth. In other platforms (QB for once), you get details (especially email) of the user, and can design behavior based on it. In Xero, we get all the data on the users (with the new email address field), but we don't which user connected. If this will be exposed, it will give the developers more tools to create a more specific experience for the users

50 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow third party apps to plug into the Xero interface

If the Xero interface could be configured to display data from and interact with the apps third party developers are creating similar to the way Facebook applications work inside their platform

49 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is certainly a nice idea in a lot of ways, and Jesse’s use case example is good one.

On the other side, allowing 3rd party applications plug into the core Xero application present some quite major security implications. The data we hold on behalf of our customers is considered highly sensitive by us and we ensure we have bank level security across all aspects of our application.

Second to that, we are a design lead and focused company – we want our software to be really easy to use and remain simple and intuitive, so allowing 3rd parties to introduce interface elements into Xero would be something we would need to carefully plan for.

With this in mind, it would be quite an onerous task for us to implement a secure framework that would allow 3rd party applications to interface within Xero, in a sensible way that does not…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base