Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) responded  · 

The Xero app now allows you to have control over the sender’s name, email address and reply to address (see http://blog.xero.com/2013/06/more-control-over-your-emails/) which was a key requirement for using the API to trigger an invoice to be emailed. Previous Xero releases also added the ability to have online viewing of invoices and email templates for sending invoices, statements etc.

In amongst our other top developer requests we are now actively looking at how we can offer this functionality to developers.

Please remember you can download PDF’s of invoices which allows you to email invoices yourself and you can also mark these invoices as sent.

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Laszlo MolnarLaszlo Molnar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any news on this? Looks like lots of people really need this feature available.
        Hopefully it's not gonna take another 3 years!

• Terry MorseTerry Morse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting anxiously for the ability to email invoice with payment link through the API.

Sending invoices by email is the one remaining manual task of our website reservation system.

• brett@slater.co.nzbrett@slater.co.nz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we've waited a long time for this feature - the combination of being able to trigger xero emailed invoices c/w paypal integration shifts the load of having to add payments to our site and would be excellent .. come on xero it can't be that difficult - any chance of committing to a delivery date?

• xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have recently added support for email templates in Xero ( see http://help.xero.com/#EmailTemplates ). The next stage of work is to let users set a sender address which our team is working on now. Once that is in place we'll look to add support for triggering the sending of invoices via the API. After that we'll consider adding support for other documents.

• IBIB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If and when you get to this feature, please don't forget about Statements. Just like some users will want to use the API to send invoices, some will want to use it to send statements

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Xero - this has been hanging around as a request for a year now - is there any hope of this being addressed?

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be perfectly happy to generate an email myself after grabbing the invoice details from the API. The problem is, I can't use the API to mark the SentToContact field as true - for some weird reason, it's been made read-only in the API.

As as interim solution, simply letting us set SentToContact would be sufficient. And because we're sending the email ourselves, we can set our own email From address and message.

I think the SentToContact change should be a priority. Further down the track, it would be nice to send emails directly from Xero's API, but that can come later.

However, here's what I'd need in order for that to be useful...

- The FROM address must be able to be set with the invoice branding.

- Same with the email message. There's no point in allowing different branded invoices if they all end up coming from the same address with the same message.

- It would be useful to be able to add multiple recipient emails to an invoice contact. For example, I frequently send one company's invoice to 3 people. But it's not the end of the world if it can't be done.

As I say, the priority should be allowing SentToContact to be set via API. Once that's done, at least we'd have the basic funcionality in place.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like an assumption problem, Evan.

Xero team, any update on this? I'm about to code in this functionality but I won't do it if there's a release imminent.

• Nathan DunnNathan Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the API having the ability to download the PDF, being able to email it yourself is not that hard. The only component Xero is missing is the ability to mark the invoice as sent.

All the functionality that has been mentioned could be easily done in a third party system, not necessarily in Xero.

• Warren StrongWarren Strong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here’s my 2 cents :)

Recipient (To Address): Allowing only the email in the existing contact is fine. Maybe expand this in future to somehow incorporate multiple addresses, or a cc list within an organisation. But for the now, just the email in the contact is a good starting point.

From (or sender): From a mail point of view, the from and the sender are technically two different things. Regardless, the limitation of emails being sent from the logged in user is...well...limiting. I remember a while ago, I used my personal email to log into my works Xero; the email was something like hairyballs@example.com. Without realising, I started sending customer’s invoices. Was not a good look!

If the design around the sender/from is too hard to change, then what about in Xero being able to set your own organisation wide reply to, and return path headers. This way, replies and bounces can be sent back to an appropriate mailbox.
        You can also create something along the lines of what most email marking software does (the likes of mail chimp, news berry etc); where you, through a means of authentication, can designate an address to be the sending address. Usually using DNS/SPF rules or similar. Or DKIM’s if your watch still says 2004 on it.
        Putting the above in context with the xero api; you could create ‘sender profiles’ which are assigned a unique id (like invoices or contacts); and when a ‘send the invoice to customer’ end point is requested, the sender profile ID is specified.

• xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark: Sorry if I wasn't clear, but we cannot provide functionality that is not in the Xero application already, hence my point on the sender address not being a generic one until that is available within the application.

It is possible to download a PDF version of an invoice right now via the API and email it yourself: see the comment on PDF in our documentation: http://blog.xero.com/developer/api/invoices/

• Mark SeemannMark Seemann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When emailing an invoice, it is better to specify a from address as usually it will be a generic "accounts@xxxxx" or "finance@xxxxx" or failing that, the ability to download a pdf invoice by specifying one of the templates would
        allow us to email it ourselves. Either way, please give us something - soon, this is critical functionality for us

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base