Xero Accounting API

Welcome to our official feedback forum for the Xero Developer API.

The Xero Community site is the best place to submit feedback for improving Xero Business

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add read-only access to accounting numbers for use in other systems

I have an internal system that handles all the other metrics for our business, but the financial data is missing.

We could either hand-enter the necessary data or build some sort of import functionality, but it would be best to query Xero directly so I can use that data in my internal system.

Thanks for listening!

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow third party apps to plug into the Xero interface

If the Xero interface could be configured to display data from and interact with the apps third party developers are creating similar to the way Facebook applications work inside their platform

69 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        5 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It is certainly a nice idea in a lot of ways, and Jesse’s use case example is good one.

On the other side, allowing 3rd party applications plug into the core Xero application present some quite major security implications. The data we hold on behalf of our customers is considered highly sensitive by us and we ensure we have bank level security across all aspects of our application.

Second to that, we are a design lead and focused company – we want our software to be really easy to use and remain simple and intuitive, so allowing 3rd parties to introduce interface elements into Xero would be something we would need to carefully plan for.

With this in mind, it would be quite an onerous task for us to implement a secure framework that would allow 3rd party applications to interface within Xero, in a sensible way that does not…

• Should be able to retrieve and set Inventory Item status.

Should be able to retrieve and set Inventory Item status, i.e. whether Active/Archived or deleted

60 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          9 comments  ·  Items / Inventory  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thanks for voting and commenting. While it is a relatively small change it is one of many many small changes vying for top priority.

This year we’ve been pretty focused on some big changes like OAuth2.0 and OpenID Connect but we’re still chipping away at small requests when we can.

Still no expected timeframe for this but it’s in the mix.

Cheers,
          Adam

• allow fine grained permissions

I'd like to be able to generate multiple API keys for myself, but be able to control the permissions for each of these keys.

For example:
          I do some subcontracting to a company and do timesheets for them each month. I then invoice them each month with those timesheet numbers as each line item on the invoice. I'm currently modifying their timesheeting system (which I wrote anyway) so that it'll generate the invoice for me in Xero, it would be nice to be able to PUT an invoice but not allow anyone else in the company to do any GETs…

60 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Simplify Testing - Endpoint to reset all demo account data

In order to build solid, tested systems, we need to run end-to-end tests on our apps.

Proposal - Create a custom endpoint only for "Demo Accounts" that will flush every bit of data.

It's easier to create data in xero than to delete it. This will allow a reset before integration tests are run. We can then seed new data and run tests as expected.

This will also allow projects with multiple developers to get their own test accounts setup and more easily match the rest of the team's.

Please vote this up.

32 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Developer Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Xero Workpapers API

Xero now has an integrated Workpapers application (http://www.xero.com/workpapers). This is a placeholder to track requests and potential use cases so we can evaluate development of this feature.

20 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Receipt updatable via API

The documentation says:

PUT Receipts
                The PUT method is similar to the POST Invoices method, however you can only create new receipts with this method.

It would be great if I was able to update receipts with the PUT method.

17 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Receipts & Expenses  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • provide transactional support

Allow for batch create/update/delete operations to multiple API endpoints within a single transaction.

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • API improvements for mobile devices

At the moment, the Xero API authentication model does not support authentication and connection via mobile devices in a practical way - the only option is the public application type giving 30mins of access.

While changes are not currently planned, please add your vote and use case here if you would like to be able to connect directly to the Xero API from a mobile application.

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Don't see your idea?

Xero Accounting API

Feedback and Knowledge Base