Skip to content

Accounting API

Welcome to our official feedback forum for the Xero Developer API.

The Xero Community site is the best place to submit feedback for improving Xero Business

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

132 results found

1. Reconcile via the API

Be able to reconcile bank statement lines via the API.

711 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    198 comments  ·  Banking  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies – it’s obvious from the continuing comments that we declined this request too hastily and without the explanation it deserved.

We know that reconciling would be a valuable API feature, but reconciling requires fine grained access to bank statement data and unfortunately we’re not able to share that data via the API for commercial reasons.

At Xero we’re passionate about having an open API and providing small businesses with open access to their data. Unfortunately, many of the partners we rely on for statement data don’t share the same ideals.

Hopefully change is coming in the form of open banking. However, it will be a long time before we can openly share statement data via the API and provide a decent reconciliation experience to third-party apps. For that reason we will unfortunately leave this request as ‘declined’.

For the immediate future, we’re busy doing some really…

2. Expose everything via the API

Everything visible in the web interface should be exposed via the API. In fact ideally the web interface itself would be a client of the API, which would ensure that all useful technology is exposed.

545 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re closing this request out and asking that developers suggest or vote for the specific features you’re after as it’s easier to get feedback to you on each request this way and also free up your votes. I’d like to reassure you we’re committed to offering the best API we can.

Tony Rule
    Product Manager, Xero Developer API

3. Credit Card payment API

Store encrypted credit cards for customers and be able to initiate (through the invoice API) credit card payment via any credit card processor's API. Paypal Web Payments Pro would be good out of the box but ideally would be set up to work with most standard APIs.

108 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I think it is a good idea to close this suggestion out as it is not a direction we wish to take for now. Over the next 2 quarters we will be looking to deliver improvements within the application in terms of development of online invoicing and supporting more payment processors, but a credit card payment API is not something we will be looking to do within a 0-3 year timeframe, so declining this suggestion.

4. Create Bank Rule's for Bank Transfers

Add a 3rd option for Bank Rules.
    Allow for transferring to a specified account.

EG: I transfer money from my PayPal to my main account only.
    OR
    EG: I transfer money from my Skrill account to my main account only.

And would like these to be reconciled even easer with automated bank rules.

69 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Accounts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow split of single payment to multiple Invoices via API

For customers who's payment gateway settles the days total takings into your bank account in one lump sum at the end of the day, making single payment against single invoices via API is no good. It would be great to be able to recieve a payment to a bank account and split that payment to be applied against multiple invoices.

58 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There seem to be a few different requirements here, I want to see what we can do to help:
    - We have prepared a guide on an easy way to handle payments where you have multiple invoices, but one lump some payment from a payment processor into your bank: http://blog.xero.com/developer/handling-payment-processor-receipts-in-xero/

- Another solution would be for users of the API be able to create a bank feed themselves from a payment service. You can vote for this API feature request here: http://xero.uservoice.com/forums/5528-xero-api/suggestions/340274-import-bank-statement-lines-via-the-api

There are other questions that point more towards Xero feature requests rather than API functionality. I recommend you request these in our community forum: https://community.xero.com/business/topic/23/

I will close out this request and we can continue the conversation in the links above.

6. Automatic credit card billing for recurring invoices

You currently allow invoices to be paid using credit card (DPS, PayPal etc).

If it's a recurring invoice (particularly if it's monthly) it'd be great if the client could opt to be billed automatically by credit card.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Automatic Reminder Notice - Overdue Invoice

Send an automatic reminder notice after, either, 7 days, 14 days, and/or 21 days once the invoice gets overdue. We should have the facility to choose number of reminder notices. Have the facility to generate reminder notice report.

We sent several invoices everyday and it is hard for us to remember to send a notice to clear their overdue payments

My client needed this system in xero and he was depressed when he heard that it's not yet developed in xero.

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Good news! Work is almost complete for invoice reminders in Xero so look out for it in the app very soon.

I’m closing this particular suggestion as it seems to relate to Xero in general rather than the Xero API. General Xero suggestions are best placed here https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/50961/

If anyone voting for this issue has any API specific suggestions for invoice reminders then please feel free to post it as a new idea.

Regards,
    Adam

8. Add eWise to your list of financial aggregators for Asia market

Add eWise to your list of financial aggregators for Asia market. Yodlee does not work for the Sg market where OTP is required. However, eWise is able to login and pull the transaction from SG banks. I have seen it myself.

You guys should look into their financial aggregating services if you would like to improve on bank feeds in Singapore.

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add more placeholders to email templates

I love the mail-merge style placeholders you've added to the email templates, but there could easily be more!

For example the "Contact Name" - a lot of my customers are businesses, so the emails will say "Hi ABC Company Pty Ltd" which looks silly. I've added the contact names of the actual people I deal with at those companies into the Contacts section of Xero, so having access to "Contact First Name" for example would be excellent.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable multiple shipping addresses for a contact

Please can we allow a contact to be associated with multiple shipping addresses. Whilst groups work to some extent, it is unforgiving if there are any inaccuracies in group membership (which does occur).

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Contacts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make the 3-legged authorization process compatible with WP7

I'd love to build an WP7 application for the Xero platform, however the step that involves navigating to the login page which is required to complete the OAuth process is blank on WP7 browsers.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide api functions to generate reports.

I find the reports available in xero very minimal, especially compared to those my accountant are used to from Simply Accounting. Consequently, I wish there were an API I could use to generate my own reports rather than hope that the xero team will implement the exact report that my accountant is requesting.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Since this request has been opened a lot of extra functionality has been provided, including reports by tracking for P&L and balance sheet: http://developer.xero.com/documentation/api/reports/

There are still a number of features we could improve on, and a number of these exist as distinct feature requests in this forum. We suggest adding your votes to those requests so we can close out this generic feature request which is difficult to define/act on.

13. Let an API link Xero bank rules to Excel, for big time savings

If this only let us export, import, create and delete, it would quickly give big time savings, avoid many errors and encourage better rule coding. However, its value will grow exponentially as we use the combined rules, of many clients, to copy rules between them and new clients. This could soon give all Xero users local and national Excel rule libraries. Their rules could reference rule creators, both for support and to encourage library contributions. The reputation of the rule creator, forum comments on each rule and the Likes (votes) of users will encourage much wider sharing of much better…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The API is not suited to this purpose, this would need to be built in the main application in order for users to import/export. It could be exposed via the API also later on, but for now, the best place to show support for this functionality is in our community forum: https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/65371/

This forum is specifically for developer API functionality (exposing existing Xero functions through the API).

14. Add a payment gateway such as sagepay so that payments for invoices can be taken via Xero

It would be nice to beable to take a payment over the phone using a virtual terminal from within Xero.

Adding a take payment now button when an invoice is approved and adding a payment gateway such as sagepay for this would be very useful.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

For developers looking to integrate a payment system themselves (including SagePay) they can do so using this guide we have provided: http://developer.xero.com/documentation/api-guides/payment-services-integration-with-xero/

While providing an integration to SagePay as part of our payment services feature in Xero is not currently on the roadmap, you can raise and vote on a feature request for it in our Xero community: https://community.xero.com/business/topic/23/

15. Add a cc and bcc option for when sending out invoices

Simple thing, just give option for copying/bcc'ing others, especially for clients who specify that you do this.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ability to merge accounts in the chart of accounts

You can merge contacts, how about the ability to merge accounts, users will often create duplicate accounts and use both, rather than waste time recoding a bunch of transactions choose which accounts you want to merge

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Accounts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. have an option to change the default view on 'My Xero' homepage to show only specified grouped or favourite files.

Our firm uses ledgers for tax work which is making the 'My Xero' homepage very cluttered and time consuming to find files. I have created groups however each time you navigate back to the homepage, all files are showing.

Can you please create an option that allows you to choose which groups are showing on the homepage?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Insurance Quotation Integration - Modern Risk Solutions

I’ve an insurance app called Modern Risk Solutions that allows users (whether business or personal) to submit requests for insurance quotes.

See link: https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/modern-risk-solutions-incident/id616505814?mt=8

I’d like to be able to PULL information via Xero from business entities for the following fields:

• Name
    • Company Name
    • Email
    • Phone
    • State
    • Years in business
    • Numbers of employees
    • Current year revenue/turnover
    • Claims or losses in the last 5 years
    • Total replacement cost of all assets
    • Target price/budget

We’d like the ability to pull the information from Xero via a Connect with Facebook style login…

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Populate reference field on payable invoices

Would like the ability to set the reference field on payable invoices. This is available on sales invoices but not on payables

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. calculate exchange rate automatically for foreign payments

Currently when entering a payment for an invoice in a foreign currency I need to enter the exchange rate. Generally I have to final AUD value and the final USD value, so would prefer the fx rate is calculated automatically.

In addition, it seems the fx rate has limited precision; I end up needing to put in manual adjustments when reconciling which is also a pain.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7