I suggest you ...

Expose the Online invoicing URL via the Xero API

Xero has recently released online invoicing functionality within the main application (http://help.xero.com/#OnlineInvoices).

Be able to retrieve the online invoicing URL via the Xero API.

Note that this URL is only generated when the invoice is emailed within the Xero application. Exposing this field will be of limited value until further work is done to be able to email an invoice from Xero via the API (but that is a separate issue).

175 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Andrea SciuttoAndrea Sciutto shared a merged idea: RE the new Online Invoice  ·   · 
    planned  ·  xeroAdminxero (Admin, Xero) responded  · 

Unfortunately this field is not as easy to provide as it might seem – it is only generated when an invoice is sent through the online invoicing system, and is not present for all invoices.

As a first step, we will look to return it when it is present, and schedule further work to allow the creation of an online invoicing URL via the API at a later date.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EvanEvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this feature? Do you have any update of progress on this?
        We really need to be able to access the online invoices via the API

• TonyTony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Returning when present is an excellent interim step, thanks for looking into that as a way to move this feature request along.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a very useful feature which should be a snap to add to the API. Can we have it?

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to link to the Xero invoice. Seems it only works if the most recent company in Xero is the one we are linking to. Would this feature solve this issue?

• NedNed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ 1. Enable us to automate invoice send out which is a very time consuming thing for us at the moment.

• Andrew FosterAndrew Foster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Anton; exposing this field (read only) would be precisely what developers need to create compelling functionality around payment reminders etc until the more complex ability to email an invoice is available.

• Aron KansalAron Kansal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it would be extremely helpful to be able to provide this url via the API.
        We need this ASAP, please offer it.

• Anton KoukineAnton Koukine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree it is of limited value. Invoices can be emailed by getting PDF from Xero API and then emailing them directly using vendor's systems. Including Online Invoice URL will be a very valuable asset!

• Josh from xocashflowJosh from xocashflow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Firstly, congratulations on rolling out this important feature.

The exposure of the URL offers huge value to the 1000s of Xero members who use any sort of email reminder system in connection with Xero. DebtorDaddy, xocashflow, CashflowBuilder and other similar add-ons will become vastly more useful by the ability to deliver links to live invoices that can be paid right away; and doing so will also make the PayPal integration a great deal more popular.

For these add-ons, the timing of the URL's generation is fine. They would sync this down after the invoice is sent but before a reminder goes out.

For Xero's part, it would also make migrating to Xero a more attractive option for those who do use reminder systems that tack in to multiple accounting packages, as few others would have interactive invoices available at this time.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this suggestion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base