Xero Accounting API

Welcome to our official feedback forum for the Xero Developer API.

The Xero Community site is the best place to submit feedback for improving Xero Business

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A fully featured JSON API, with no XML requirements whatsoever.

Title says it all, pure JSON, nothing else. All the same features as the XML one, but at a different endpoint.

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Investigation has begun for providing support for JSON on all Accounting API endpoints. There are some things to iron out but we expect support for JSON to be in the near future.

• Notify URL When Stuff Changes in Xero - Webhooks

I'm requesting "web hooks" for the Xero API.

Here's how they work: Customer provides a URL (http://myserver.com/xero/changed) to Xero, and when something is changed, Xero notifies that URL, perhaps indicating which records have changed.

The Xero API provides methods that you can query and compare with previous results to see what has changed. However, this is not performant for large data sets, and detecting changes involves a lot of code.

The competition has it - web hooks are supported by QuickBooks. Let's get them in Xero - it's a superior product in every other way.

900 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        55 comments  ·  General Requests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Development is underway for web hooks. The team are looking at implementing notifications on the Contacts endpoint of the Accounting API as a starter. We will enter closed beta for this very soon so please register interest in being involved in this by contacting our support team on api@xero.com

• Void payments and credit notes via API

1.void payments via API
        2.unallocated/void credit note via API

API should let us void payments and credit notes, at least for the invoices copied from our system

81 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Invoices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Back in December 2014 we added functionality to delete payments so this is well overdue for an update.

Unallocating credit notes, prepayments etc is definitely something we’d like to do but not on the roadmap right now

• Include the IsReconciled field when returning multiple Payments from the GET Payments API

IsReconciled is included in the Payment API, but is not included when multiple payments are returned.

This would be exceedingly useful for monitoring which payments have been reconciled, without having to individually request their entire details details in separate API requests.

13 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add Paging on Credit Notes Endpoint

At present when a GET is performed on the Credit Notes end point, the LineItem elements are not returned. On other endpoints this issue is alleviated with the option of Paging, which when used returns all elements.

At present we are forced to GET a list of list of all Credit Notes that have been modified since the last GET and then loop through each Credit Note making an API call for each individual Credit Note just so that we can get the LineItems. The issue with this is that we are often exceeding the 60 second rate limit.

If…

37 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Credit notes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Good news, we’re currently working credit note paging in the current sprint. Should be available in the next week or so.

Cheers,
              Adam

• 44 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow access to POST/GET Bank Transfers through the API

According to the http://blog.xero.com/developer/api/BankTransactions/ page, "This endpoint does not return payments applied to invoices or transfers between bank accounts".

While there is a separate API for payments to invoices, one doesn't exist for Bank Transfers. Please can it be added?

43 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  6 comments  ·  Journals  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Increase rate limit (or allow details to be included in invoices, etc)

This is especially important for an initial sync of a new customer with our product as we need every invoice in the database (including the PDFs, which we are happy to trickle into the system over time).

32 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Our current rate limits are detailed here: http://blog.xero.com/developer/api-overview/#limit

If you do hit a rate limit, in many cases it will be the 60 requests/min limit, and not the daily limit.

If you need to make more than the daily limit of API calls, then you might need to look at why: Xero is design for Small & Medium sized businesses, so we do not envisage creating dozens or hundreds of invoices, contacts etc on a daily basis as fitting our product niche.

There are some one-off data sync operations we recognise can be tedious with the current API structure and rate limits – we are working on ways to improve this.

If you are hitting a rate limit, email network@xero.com and let us know – we can see if we can help you – we don’t want anyone to be unable to use our service and quite often we can…

• Exposing default discount rate of Contacts via API

Return discount rate info of Contacts in a GET Contacts response

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)