Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Xero APIAdminXero API (Admin, Xero API) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris KnipeChris Knipe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just in terms of your "work around," let's look a bit closer for a quick, once off purchase...

1 API call to create a contact, I need to do the call separately, as I need the clientID to generate an invoice
        1 API call to generate the invoice for the contact, again, I need to do the call separately, in order to receive the invoice id from the API
        1 API call to mark the invoice as paid
        1 API call to request the actual PDF file

That's 4 out of 1,000 API calls, just to do a simple thing as raising an invoice, and being able to email a PDF. Max, 250 invoices per day IF you don't do anything else via Xero's API.

We are *seriously* restricted by Xero's inability to automate processes such as emailing invoices. Frankly, we've put new business development 'on hold' due to these restrictions in our cloud based accounting software.

It's a serious issue.

In terms of emailing invoices, may I also suggest that you allow your clients to specify a SMTP relay, so that Xero can relay the emails through your customer's SMTP servers, instead of being sent from Xero's servers and creating MORE complexities with DKIM, SPF, and a whole bunch of other things. Just a thought.

• Jonathan PapworthJonathan Papworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this - written the code to post invoices to Xero from our internal business systems to reduce our admin overhead - but I now need to only allow admin to run this process because otherwise our customers won't receive a copy of the invoice... Another easy option to add - why not? are you trying to throttle businesses like mine because you are concerned over the load that we could put on your infrastructure? You could have a price upgrade for higher levels of automation if you wanted - or is this really a concern over your infrastructure handling the load? Will AWS fix this? Let's hope so :-)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much needed. As it was April when you predicted "at least six months" is it really still only in PLANNED stage?

• Daveyon MayneDaveyon Mayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to expose the invoice url in the api? Im using the demo company and it's not showing in the api previewer.

• Sergey ErlikhSergey Erlikh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It limits your customers to create powerful integrations. It is not really clear why ideas with fewer votes have higher priorities.

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I'm a developer. You obviously already have the feature that actually sends the invoice in production on your system currently. So, really all the API transaction needs to do is authenticate and send an invoice number and flag field requesting the invoice be emailed to the contact email already associated with the invoice (and possibly the ability to override the email address.)

That is very simple and easy because most of the work is the actual sending of the invoice which is ALREADY IN PRODUCTION!

Very disappointing.

• Eduardo FelipeEduardo Felipe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, guys, 5 years is not that long to add an API call for something that they already have the infrastructure to do, right? It's not as if we pay Xero any money do hire people to do these things, right?

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

• Lei ZhangLei Zhang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree that API should support this feature. This should be a very common project requirement if system need to integrating with XERO invoicing.

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't even need to be a feature of the API - it could be a standard Invoice Setting i.e. 'Automatically Email when Approved'

Although I'd like it to be an API function

• dhanuka senaratnedhanuka senaratne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without emailing feature, Xero API automation is half done. Some one needs to manually send invoices to customers. Please prioritize this one.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base