Skip to content

Accounting API

Welcome to our official feedback forum for the Xero Developer API.

The Xero Community site is the best place to submit feedback for improving Xero Business

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

132 results found

1. login upgrade

It would be great not to have to enter my email address every time that xero times out it should only need the password to login

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Asp.net C# - sample code for private application

can you please provide some sample code , on how to connect to xero private apps for long time authenitcation. please help to us.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. add more placeholders to email templates

I love the mail-merge style placeholders you've added to the email templates, but there could easily be more!

For example the "Contact Name" - a lot of my customers are businesses, so the emails will say "Hi ABC Company Pty Ltd" which looks silly. I've added the contact names of the actual people I deal with at those companies into the Contacts section of Xero, so having access to "Contact First Name" for example would be excellent.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. allow more flexibility for positioning of logos on invoicing template as currently you cannot centralise.

Traditional UK Invoices for small businesses would not look like the ones you can currently produce from your template. There is very little flexibility as to where the logo can be positioned and it does not allow other elements to balance. I do not have the expertise or ability to get someone elese to create a new docx template.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Sort on report column headers

It would be very convenient if report column headers were sortable.

For example, when I run a "Sales by Item" report, I'd like to click on the "Total" column header to re-sort the report by Total, either ascending or descending.

If this sorting was available for all column headers, I could immediately find out:
    - best and worst selling product by sales revenue
    - best and worst selling product by units moved
    - most expensive product
    - least expensive product
    - lowest and highest average selling price

....all in seconds with just a few clicks on column headers, and without…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make receipting quicker and easier

I am an owner/operator of my own business and even though I do have my bank account linked I generally use my personal credit card for everything so that I can leave my money in an offset account to minimilise interest. It means I do alot of receipting and find the process long and tedious as I have to go through approving / authorising etc just to do reciepts. If there was a quicker way of doing it would make life alot easier.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Let an API link Xero bank rules to Excel, for big time savings

If this only let us export, import, create and delete, it would quickly give big time savings, avoid many errors and encourage better rule coding. However, its value will grow exponentially as we use the combined rules, of many clients, to copy rules between them and new clients. This could soon give all Xero users local and national Excel rule libraries. Their rules could reference rule creators, both for support and to encourage library contributions. The reputation of the rule creator, forum comments on each rule and the Likes (votes) of users will encourage much wider sharing of much better…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The API is not suited to this purpose, this would need to be built in the main application in order for users to import/export. It could be exposed via the API also later on, but for now, the best place to show support for this functionality is in our community forum: https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/65371/

This forum is specifically for developer API functionality (exposing existing Xero functions through the API).

8. Enable bulk editing of accounts and tracking data

Currently it is very tedious to manipulate data in the system. I've made some adjustments to the way accounts and tracking are handled, and I am faced with going through hundreds of invoices one by one to create reports that make sense. It would be awesome to be able to check multiple items and modify them in this way (although I can see a problem with multiple line items), or else have some tools to migrate invoice line-items assigned to a particular account or tracking category to another one.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As this forum is for developer API functionality requests and yours relates to something that would need to happen in the main application, I’m afraid we have to decline this suggestion, but don’t take it personally – we would still love to see you make your suggestion in the Xero Community forum: https://community.xero.com/business/

Love the migration idea if you are switching accounts or tracking though, so be sure to add a suggestion!

9. Create invoices and credit notes via the api as Deleted or Voided

My client requires invoices and credits too be synchronised between our software and Xero.

This includes having invoices deleted and credits voided before they reach Xero.

I would like to create deleted invoices and voided credits first time rather then having to create drafts and then delete/void them in a seperate operation.

You shouldn't be able to do this via the Xero user interface but I should be able to do this via the API.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Xero API must follow the same application logic as the main application. It is for this reason we must decline this request, but we are committed to exposing more functionality via the API such as the ability to void invoices and credit notes via the API once they are created.

10. are able to enter several email addresses for customers.

Several email addresses as in accounts payable and the person that deals directly

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Quick and Easy third party authentication

I think there should be a quick way for third party applications to authenticate into the XERO API.. Because as far as I know there currently isn't a quick way for the authentication of users keys and certificates authenticated in a couple of seconds rather than minutes without requesting a lot of information from the web services (give and take how many invoices or contact information has to be recieved).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Michael

It seems like you are basing this on your experience of using a private API application? We also have two other application types: partner API apps and public API apps that use the 3-legged OAuth process which to the end user is as simple as clicking a button in a 3rd-party app, logging into Xero and approving a connection between the other application and their Xero organisation. Overview here: http://blog.xero.com/developer/api-overview/

You can see this in action by using the API previewer – if already connected to an organisation, disconnect and go through the process of connecting again – that is the same workflow as public/partner API apps use.

Note this makes it easy for the end user, but there will always be work involved for the 3rd party applications themselves in terms of setup etc.

Hope that is what you are after!

12. Add a "Hero" report module position to the Dashboard for beautiful graphical reports

Some UI improvements -

Add a Hero or Showcase module position to the Dashboard. Give users options to select from various graphic reports for things like profit and loss or daily sales.

Or perhaps you allow the user to select and compare activity in multiple accounts and choose the type of output graph.

You may even allow drag-and-drop positioning of multiple custom graphs or reports - on top of the listing of bank activity, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.

Regards,
    - Aaron

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Be able to have number of days billable in the invoice recievable template

I run a equipment hire company and use xero to itemise and invoice the equipment hired out. The quantity field works well but i supply equipment over a number of days at a day rate. It would really help to be able to specify how many days any quantity of equipment was hired out for. In theory its just another quantity field called DAYS. Please Please Please. :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Invoices  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Create a section for discounts for any goods and services in an invoice

When entering invoices it would be nice to have a section to put any discounts that have been applied to the goods and services that I am entering.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Accounts  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. open standards data & document formats

At the moment I can import & export financial data via an Open Standards CSV format (& well-documented API's), which is great for interoperability with other systems :)

Unfortunately this is not carried through universally, such as Custom Invoice Branding, which is reliant on ms docx formats.
    This excludes a significant potion of my own customer-base (many SME's/SMB's reducing overheads) that are increasing not making use of manu ms-based technologies (i.e. office), and are increasingly moving toward more "cloud-based" solutions, such as Google Docs (sample docs are an absolute mess in GDocs) & Open/LibreOffice.

Please add support for common, Open…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow financial advisers to permanently delete records from the systen

I think that Financial Advisers should have the ability to completely remove a record from the system. Or - this needs to be a permission setting on some future ACL implementation.

What if an error occurs? Especially for folks like me who are synchronizing their billing system. As far as I am concerned - my billing system has the most accurate information. I want to be able to adjust for errors that may occur during sync - because I cannot effect the records in my billing system.

These records have already occured. They are uneditable. Xero is simply copying those…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote